Thursday, September 9, 2010

Greek Festival 5k

So my uncle David talked me into running the Greek Festival 5k. I like to run but I don't do very often although I should. I have actually run a few races with David, one in Moab Ut when I was oh I don't know in elementary or junior high, a couple of SLC ones and then this one. The last one was last year. As I said before I don't do much running so I didn't have much training at all. In fact I ran 3miles on Monday, 3miles on Tuesday, jogged/walked 2miles, with kids in a stroller on Wednesday, walked 1mile on Thursday and the race was on Saturday. I ran the race with David, my cousin Omar and his wife Nelli it was at Sugar House Park. My Tia, (aunt) Maricela was also there with Omar (Bebo) and Nelli's kids for encouragement. I wanted to try and keep up with David but that just didn't happen. There were two hills that just got me real good. I just kept telling myself "go slow, just don't walk, just don't walk!" It was funny though because while doing my best to make it up the last hill, I was passing a lady and a little girl who turned out to be my aunt Judy and her granddaughter Maddie out for a morning walk! Well then I kept on going and the last end of the race included some down hill, nice, and then I picked up the pace towards the finish line where David, Bebo, Maricela and the kids were waiting. I wish I would've pushed myself a bit harder but I made and that's what counts! I finished the race 30:48 . I was 14th place overall in the women's 5k and I took 2nd in my age group, 30-34, there we a total of 7 in that group. So I think I did a pretty good job! It was fun and I hope to get one more race in this year. I'd like to thank David for inviting me!! I'd also like to thank my Jody for watching the kids so early in the morning, if you didn't know he works the grave yard shift and doesn't get home until 3 in the AM and I had to leave at 6, and yes the boys did wake up early. Thanks Babe!

And Their Off

I'm the one to the far right

" Oman" (they misspelled his name)

Nelli

Me

David, Me, Nelli and Omar
(Just to clarify, I grew up calling Omar by Bebo and I still do. I feel odd calling him Omar, hmmm, odd!)







5 comments:

  1. Way to go, Danielle!!! That's awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are awesome! This reminded my of running cross-country at Hillcrest, remember that? By the way when are we going to do Zumba?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You gooo girl! I'll do the next one with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Emily I remember running at Hillcrest, I wish I would've stuck with that and track also!

    ReplyDelete